Digitally Savvy | Energetic | Driven
I am a politics and government reporter with The Loudoun Times-Mirror in Leesburg, Virginia. My interests range from journalism to innovation. I am also interested in technology, sports, and video editing.
My passion for journalism began when I was teenager living in England. BBC Radio hired me as the lead voice actor for a children’s book called Julian’s Glorious Summer written by Ann Cameron. I was intrigued by the production and it pushed me to earn a degree in broadcast journalism.
In 2007, my career started as a general assignment reporter in Virginia. I have experience as writer, videographer, editor, researcher and content system manager using web and social media tools to share stories and engage with readers.
Politics & Government Reporter, The Loudoun Times-Mirror
Leesburg, Va., May 2018 to Present
- Write stories as well as shoot and edit videos on a range of political topics including municipal government actions, racial unrest and protests and President Trump’s impact on local elections
- Cover county and community concerns such as housing and urban development as well as land use projects
Sports Reporter, Cleveland.com
Cleveland, Ohio, Dec. 2013 to April 2018
- Write stories as well as shoot and edit videos for a website and two newspapers, The Plain Dealer and Sun News, on a number of local and national sports topics
- Develop features that connect politics and sports through stories about President Trump’s impact on locker room etiquette and political activism among athletes
- Analyze high school football games and players on-air for Spectrum’s “Friday Night Huddle,” a live television program shown across Ohio
- Produce multimedia packages including polls and slideshows, gather statistical data and assist with coverage on the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers and Cleveland Indians
Sports Editor, Northern Neck News
Warsaw, Va., July 2011 to Dec. 2013
- Wrote for three newspapers on a variety of topics dealing with professional, collegiate and high school athletes and coaches including how sports connect distant family members and international students and how communities preserve their sports history
- Shot and produced photos and videos for news websites; Administered Facebook, Twitter and A.P. mobile applications; Designed newspaper pages and specials
Government Reporter, Photographer and Copy Editor, Westmoreland News
Montross, Va., Aug. 2007 to July 2011
- Covered politics and community news including elections, county government and town council meetings, and the emergence of the Westmoreland County Judicial Center and the O’Gara Group Training and Services Center
- Managed a staff of seven people; Shot and edited photos and videos; Designed newspaper pages; Administered the Facebook, Twitter, and A.P. mobile applications
Bowie State University, Bowie, Md.
Bachelors of Arts, Communications, May 2006
Multimedia Tools: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Nikon D40 DSLR Digital Camera, Panasonic DVC Pro, DV and Mini DV cameras
Video Editing: Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Videolicious, iMovie
Web Content Management: Moveable Type, WordPress, Brightcove video streaming
AWARDS and ACHIEVEMENTS
Ohio Prep Sportswriters: Place winner sports multimedia video (2015)
Virginia Press Association Awards: Place winner sports multimedia video (2010-2012), sports writing portfolio (2010, 2012) and feature writing portfolio (2012)